Sewing is an activity of fastening or joining objects using stitches with the help of needle and thread. Initially, sewing was done by hand, later in the 19th centaury a machine has been invented for sewing which is known as sewing machine. Sewing machine has greatly improved clothing industry. Sewing machines have been improved tremendously over the years. Sewing machines are mainly classified into two types , home sewing machines and industrial sewing machines. Home sewing machines are designed to use by one person . Earlier there were only mechanical sewing machine available. Mechanical machines users need to do more actions manually.
Now, there are a wide variety of electronic sewing machines available which needs less manual effort. People can choose sewing machines according to their age. Sewing machines which are suitable for middle school children also available now. While choosing a sewing machine, people need to consider so many factors like cost, warranty, the weight of the machine etc. ‘Brother’ is a famous company which provides good quality sewing machines. Brother HC1850 is highest selling computerised sewing and quilting machine of the Brother brand.
Brother HC1850 features
Basic specifications of Brother HC1850 sewing machine is as follows:
- Dimensions – 16.3 * 7 * 12.5 inches
- Weight – 10.14 pounds
- Number of sewing feet – 8
- Warranty – 25 years
- Maximum sewing speed – 850 spm
- Voltage – 120V
Brother HC1850 has a list of incredible features due to which it has become popular all over the world.
- Brother HC1850 sewing machine comes with 130 built-in stitches. Among these built-in stitches, there are 42 garment construction stitches, 8 styles of one-step automatic buttonholes and number of decorative stitches.
- This sewing machine is equipped with 170 stitch functions with 14 quilting stitch functions ,94 decorative stitch functions , 12 heirloom stitch functions.
- Brother HC1850 can be used for quilting also. It has a detachable wide table and a spring action quilting foot which makes quilting easy. If you prefer free-motion quilting , that is also possible using this machine.
- This sewing machine has 8 different sewing foot which are zigzag foot, overcasting foot, zipper foot , monogramming foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, blind stitch foot, quilting foot.
- This machine comes with automatic needle threader, hence threading becomes easy for beginners. And sewing speed is also adjustable.
- An accessory pouch with 3 bobbins, a 3-piece needle set, a cleaning brush, a ball-point needle, a twin needle, an eyelet punch, a screwdriver, an extra spool pin, 3 spool caps, and one seam ripper will be provided with this machine.
- Another important feature is , this machine is equipped with LED bulbs to light up the work area and a backlit LCD display.
Pros and Cons of Brother HC1850 sewing machine
- Brother HC1850 sewing machine is easily portable because it is comparatively small in size with affordable cost.
- This machine is very strong and works quickly. Needle replacement is very easy.
- LED light for work area and backlit LCD display makes sewing and quilting work easy and comfortable.
- 130 built-in stitches and 170 stitch functions are very useful for beginners. Expertise also gets effective benefits of these built-in stitches.
- The machine is attached with a flip stitch chart, hence very easy to understand and set up the machine.
- Brother HC1850 machine is made up of mostly flimsy materials, hence maybe require repairs after a few years.
- Built-in needle threader sometimes may not work properly. Hence, sometimes user may require to manually thread the needle.
Brother HC1850 Sewing Machine Review
Normally, every customer first expectation is machine should be easy to set up! Brother HC1850 effectively fulfils this requirement. An instruction DVD will be provided for customer while buying this machine. Instructions are very simple and easy to follow.
Built-in carrying handle and small size made it easily portable. The machine has LED light for work area and LCD backlit display, hence nothing to worry about the brightness of the light in the sewing room.
Many people like to practise quilting along with sewing. For them, Brother HC1850 is the best choice. Along with 130 built-in stitches, it also has 14 quilting stitch functions which is plus point of this machine.
Beginners may feel very comfortable to use this machine due to a lot of in-built features like a needle threader, in-built stitches, quilting stitch functions, adjustable speed etc. This machine is the best choice for those who like to explore more in sewing and quilting because of the wide range of sewing and quilting options. Expertise can explore more with built-in decorative stitches, heirloom stitches, garment construction stitches etc.
With all these benefits, only one thing this machine may not be offer is longevity. Since this machine is made up of mostly flimsy materials, this may not be last longer. Although , this machine functions as a best sewing and quilting machine with great versatility.
Brother HC1850 sewing machine alternatives
- Singer 7258 sewing machine: This sewing machine is very much suitable for the experienced sewer who is eager to explore more in sewing. This allows sewing, embroidery, quilting. This machine is fully computerised and has LCD display panel and automatic needle threader. It comes with 100 in-built switches, whereas 76 among them are decorative! Hence this machine very much suitable to make your designs more decorative. This machine is the best option to enhance your creativeness in sewing. Very clear bobbin cover makes loading easy. This machine has an LED bulb and has high sewing speed. Since it is a computerised machine, doing the initial setup may be a little difficult for those who didn’t handle the computerised machine before.
- Brother Laura Ashley CX155LA : This model from Brother company is suitable for beginners. This is a lightweight machine with 155 built-in stitches . And has easy needle threading system, drop-in bobbin system to ease the work. It is equipped with backlit LCD screen and brightly lit work area.
- Janome 2212 sewing machine : This sewing machine is very simple and easy to understand. This can be very convenient to learn sewing as a hobby after retirement for women above age 40. And for those who need a machine to do only patchworks or simple stitches in less time, this machine is best. This has 12 in-built stitches and drops feed for free-motion stitching & quilting. It is extremely lightweight. But, this is not completely automated machine. Hence, user may need to do some manual tasks like threading.
- Janome 8077 sewing machine: Janome 8077 has enhanced features than Janome 2212. This machine has automatic threader and 30 in-built stitches , so that it is suitable for high-level sewing. It is equipped with LED display and bobbin cover is transparent. This is also a lightweight machine and hence easy to shift. Since it is a computerised machine , doing the initial setup may be a little difficult for those who didn’t handle the computerised machine before.
- Singer quantum stylist 9960 sewing machine : This is upgraded version of singer 7258 sewing machine. Completely automated sewing machine with 600 inbuilt stitches. The amazing feature of this machine is, it has an electronic auto-pilot feature. So that, user can set it to guide the cloth and stitch by itself. It also has 13 one-step buttonhole styles. Therefore this machine is very helpful for experienced sewer’s who want to become more professional! But , this is heavier compared to other machine which affects portability.
- JUKI TL – 2000Qi sewing machine: This machine infuses old technology with a little modern touch and provides a unique sewing experience. This machine is based on Japanese sewing technology and the user can expect it to last for ages. The machine is not computerised, hence requires, manual works. Therefore, this machine is suitable for people who have experience working in a mechanical sewing machine. This machine will be convenient for people who are finding difficult to operate computerised machines and those who are experts & love to do manual work! This has LED lights facility and automated threading system. And this machine is best for quilting. The machine is not easily portable because of heavyweight
- Brother project runway PC420PRW sewing machine: This is completely computerised sewing machine with a wide variety of stitches . This machine is designed for commercial application and is most suitable for people who are eager to meet the perfection . It contains a multilingual LCD panel and in-built thread cutter. LED bulbs are there to light up the work area and have smooth fabric feeding. This is a lightweight machine which is very easy to use and highly efficient. Initial set-up may be difficult for those who are new to computerised machines. But , this is best for people who are looking forward to doing tailoring business!!
These are the couple of sewing machines. People must consider their physical and financial circumstances while choosing the machines. The sewing machine you are going to buy must fulfil your expectations , hence carefully select your sewing machine. Happy sewing!!