Brother SE400 is among the most affordable sewing and embroidery combo machine that you can get in the US. The reason why this machine has become so popular is its versatility and also the quality of stitches. The selection of stitches and the features are also available on SE400 and is pretty impressive.
A mixture of excellent pricing, great features and the quality stitches makes this machine popular. One interesting feature is that Brother has also released another similar machine which is under the model number SE425. Now, most people are confused between Brother SE400 and SE425.
Both machines are similar in features, so we will help you make a choice.
Brother SE400 Vs SE425 – Feature Differences
When you are comparing these two machines, the first thing that you will notice is nothing. We are not kidding, both machines are the same.
The sewing area is the same, the sewing features are the same, and embroidery features are also the same. The difference lies in the accessories you get.
Brother Sewing and Embroidery Model SE425
The Extras You Get With Brother SE425
Both the machines Brother SE400 and SE425 come with the 70 built-in embroidery designs, but with SE425 you will be getting an extra 100 designs on a CD. Technically saying, SE425 has170 embroidery designs (70 on the machine and 100 on the CD).
Along with the CD, you will also be getting two other accessories that you won’t get with SE400. You will be getting a Zig Zag foot and 4 bobbins with the SE425. Apart from the above things, everything else remains the same.
One point that you need to note here is, that SE425, Brother SE400 also has USB connectivity. This means that you can import the designs you want to by the internet. That erases the difference between SE400 and SE425. Our viewpoint is, even if you miss out on a CD with SE400, you can still make up for it since you will have a USB connectivity option.
|FEATURE||BROTHER SE400||BROTHER SE425|
|1: TYPE||Sewing & Embroidery Combo Machine||Sewing & Embroidery Combo Machine|
|2: MAX EMBROIDERY AREA||4″ x 4″||4″ x 4″|
|3: BUILT-IN STITCHES||67||67 Sewing Stitches|
|4: EMBROIDERY HOOP||1 hoop, 4″ x 4″||1 hoop, 4″ x 4″|
|5: SEWING START/STOP BUTTON||Yes||Yes|
|6: EMBROIDERY SPEED (Stitches/min)||400||400 Stitches/min|
|7: SPEED CONTROL SLIDER||Yes||Yes|
|8: BUILT-IN EMBROIDERY DESIGNS||70||70 Plus 100 on CD|
|9: AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER||Yes||Yes|
|10: LAYOUT FUNCTION||Yes||Yes|
|11: BUTTONHOLE STYLES||10 One-step||10 One-step|
|12: PATTERN ROTATION||1, 10, or 90 Degrees||1, 10, or 90 Degrees|
|13: TOP DROP-IN BOBBIN||Yes||Yes|
|14: USB CONNECTIVITY||Yes||Yes|
|15: STITCH SELECTION||LCD Touch Display||LCD Touch Display|
|16: EMBROIDERY CARD SLOT||Yes||Yes|
|17: ADJUSTABLE STITCH LENGTH/WIDTH||Yes||Yes|
|18: BUILT-IN MEMORY||Yes||Yes|
|19: STITCH WIDTH||7mm||7mm|
|20: STITCH LENGTH||5mm||5mm|
|21: PROGRAMMABLE NEEDLE UP/DOWN||Yes||Yes|
|BUILT-IN MONOGRAMMING 22: FONT||Yes 5||Yes 5|
|23: ADJUSTABLE PRESSER FOOT PRESSURE||No||No|
|24: DROP FEED||Yes||Yes|
|25: MOTOR SPEED||710 Stitches/min (For regular sewing)||710 Stitches/min (For regular sewing)|
|26: ON BOARD ACCESSORY STORAGE||Yes||Yes|
|27: WORK LIGHT||Yes 1 LED||Yes 1 LED|
|28: FEED DOG||7||7|
|29: INCLUDED FEET||It has a Buttonhole foot, an Over casting foot, Monogramming foot, Zipper foot, Blind Stitch foot, Button Fitting foot, and also Embroidery foot||Buttonhole foot, Overcasting foot, Monogramming foot, Zipper foot, Blind Stitch foot, Button Fitting foot, Zig Zag foot, Embroidery foot|
|30: MACHINE WEIGHT||13.66 lbs||13.66 lbs|
|31: WARRANTY||25 years||25 Year Limited|
|32: AUTOMATIC THREAD CUTTER||Yes||Yes|
|33: ON-SCREEN HELP TUTORIALS||Yes||Yes|
You’ve done the research, and you’re down to the Brother SE400 and Brother SE425. Now you need to know the difference between these two. There is one big difference between the SE400 vs SE425 and one small difference.
They both are excellent computerized sewing machines that can also do high-quality embroidery. And both machines have the same LCD touch-screen display.
For the Brother SE425 vs SE400 battle, we have chosen SE400 to be the winner due to its less price than its competitor.
SE600 is on the top of SE400 and SE425, and it’s the best choice you can make now.
If you want to spend more and get some more designs, brother se425 will be good.
Just remember, that Brother se400 one of the best sellers online for a long period of time. It is being replaced by better and latest SE600. We’ve chosen this as a winner for a reason; you can do everything with the latest version of se400 as you can with se425 at a lesser price.
How Well Do They Sew?
Both the machines have 67 built-in stitches. You can sew 710 stitches/minute when you are doing regular sewing.
You can also choose from ten styles of one-step buttonholes out of those 67 stitches.
- Brother is a well-known brand for creating sewing machines that are great for beginners. They’re easy to install and use.
- The bobbins of the machine are jam-proof, so you can create your dream project without stopping and fixing problems.
- Both machines have a good variety of presser feet so that you can sew a number of things.
- Then you can also use the decorative sewing stitches and the switch over to embroidery.
It’s straightforward to exchange from sewing to the hoop for embroidery.
How Well Do They Embroider?
They both can create crisp and accurate embroidered designs on the hoop of 4” x 4”.
The SE400 is having 70 built-in designs. The SE425 also comprises 70 built-in designs. However, with Brother SE425, you also get a CD with 100 additional designs.
You can sew at a speed of 400 stitches/minute when embroidering with both these machines. While this may not be super fast, but both machines can create accurate designs with precise stitches.
Can The Speed Of These Machines be adjusted?
You can vary the speed of the machine if you find that you need to stitch at a slower rate.
It is required during sewing when you’re going through thick layers, and during embroidery when you are having a dense area of stitches.
Are You satisfied With The 4” x 4” Hoop Size?
The answer is both Yes and No. You can buy a larger size hoop(not to large though) and also a smaller size hoop that will work on both the SE 425 and SE 400. So, the maximum built-in design size for both these machines is 4 by 4. If you want to work with the larger design, you’ll need to tear the design and reposition the hoop.
- Remember that, you can’t get bigger hoops to fit in because of the area limitations of these machines. If you cannot live without bigger hoops and the designs, I would prefer going with either PE770 or DZ820E.
- Both the machines pe770 and dz820e were better in case of embroidery only and had higher price tags than these combo machines. Later the PE800 has replaced PE770.
- Brother has a 1” x 2.5” embroidery hoop that is for monograms for collars and cuffs. You can create little designs on infant wear as well.
Can Designs be imported?
- Yes. Both machines have a USB port. So you can plug in a USB drive so that you can copy over designs. Some people are able to connect their computer directly to the sewing machine. Then you can easily copy the design to the drive.The built-in memory of the machines SE400 and SE425 are limited. Some reviewers have mentioned that it can handle up to twelve designs.
- However, it’s also reliant on how complicated the pattern is. If you have difficulties in copying it over, you’ll need to delete the old designs if you want to put new ones in.
- Both Brother sewing machines are also having a slot for Brother design cards. You can also buy the design cards to use with the combo machines. Design cards would be having additional designs and embellishments that you can incorporate into what your overall design can be.
- Finally, you can go to the site iBroidery.com and purchase the individual designs. You can save them to your computer and after that transfer it to the SE400 or SE425 by using a USB stick.
You can find designs in some other places. You need to be sure that they are in the PES or DST file format, and also they’re compatible.
Differences Between The Brother SE425 and SE400:
By now, you should know what are the differences between Brother SE425 and SE400. The bottom line is that the machine SE425 includes a CD with 100 more designs.
All of these designs are on the internet. You’ll be saving time by having them in a collection.
And they also look different. The Brother SE425 is having a tan decal instead of having a white and purple decal of the SE400.
Brother SE400 vs SE425 Battle
When we compare Brother SE400 and SE425, the Brother SE400 is the winner. You can easily import any well-matched design with the USB port or with a Brother card.
Brother se425 also has extra designs on CD. You might end up without using those designs, so why you need to pay extra.
Besides, you can also get the same designs online whenever you wish to. So pick up the latest version of SE400 and enjoy.
- How to oil a Husqvarna Viking Sewing Machine
- How to Make Your Own Clothes?
- How to Make Pants Tighter Without Sewing?
- How to Fix a Tear Without Sewing?
- 1 Brother SE400 Vs SE425 – Feature Differences
- 2 Brother SE400 Computerized Sewing
- 3 Brother Sewing and Embroidery Model SE425
- 3.1 The Extras You Get With Brother SE425
- 3.2 Comparison
- 3.3 How Well Do They Sew?
- 3.4 How Well Do They Embroider?
- 3.5 Can The Speed Of These Machines be adjusted?
- 3.6 Are You satisfied With The 4” x 4” Hoop Size?
- 3.7 Can Designs be imported?
- 3.8 Differences Between The Brother SE425 and SE400:
- 3.9 Brother SE400 vs SE425 Battle